Thread: LJ 10/30/16
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

Word of advice for the kayaker who flipped launching Sun morning, if you can't see a larger wave coming your way because of the dark, NEVER slow or stop you're paddling, even if it is going to curl right on top of you, if anything SPEED up while being perpendicular to that wave. You have to punch through it. I can't tell you how many times both Julie and I have had large waves curl right onto us in the dark and though sometimes we were soaked head to toe, we always punched through minus one occasion. On that one occasion, it was winter and we launched an hour before sunrise, the small waves were 3 footers, the large ones 4 footers, but their periods were spaced apart. It was the biggest surf we've ever launched in, and the other 1/2 dozen kayakers on the beach were waiting on sunrise, because of their size. But, Julie being the toughest kayaker I know was willing to try a launch. I barely made it out, but was completely soaked. Julie was not so lucky, one of those 4 footers hit her so hard even paddling hard and perpendicular wasn't enough. She got tossed sideways enough so that her 'yak turned on it's side and off she fell. Fortunately, we always keep everything strapped in and down, and she didn't lose anything. It was so dark that I hadn't even known she'd flipped. As I ventured back, just outside the launch, I saw her onshore regrouping, so I was like WTF! I watched as she launched again, and she made it out this time. After telling me about what happened we went to Scripps pier, made bait, and by the end of that day, she caught a 33lb white, her first, and I caught a 34lb yellowtail, rewarded for our perseverance. Karma can be funny.
Funny in that most of our most successful trips we'd been either thoroughly soaked or had some other dilemma to start our day. Getting soaked on launch even on smaller wave days has happened so often with us, we expect it and most of the time we don't look for "windows". We've waited for windows just to get soaked anyway, so what's the use. As soon as the sun comes up, you'll dry out.

I didn't see you flip Sun morning, I just saw 2 guys landing on the beach and a 3rd guy getting ready to launch, who helped you. I thought you might have been night fishing for whites. When that 3rd guy made it out to where I was prepping, he told me about your flip and how you may have lost gear. I guess that has to be my 3rd tip, ALWAYS strap in "all of your gear" on launching but especially landing. Even on winter days with 5 or 6 foot swells, it's probably best to keep things strapped, just in case your'e leaning the wrong way. We haven't flipped in many years on landings, though we had in our early years a couple of times each. Landing is much trickier, flipping a couple of times when your'e new is almost expected. Though we've made over 70 landings/launches between us, having everything strapped down during that process has saved us hundreds of dollars in lost gear on those rare occasions years ago that we did flip.

Sunday the waves were so small, I only had a little white water come over my bow to wet my feet and underside of my legs a little. I don't believe any kayaker, even a first timer should have flipped even on the biggest waves of that morning, if they'd only followed the advice of launching in the dark. If you can't see well in advance the waves coming at you, #1) ALWAYS BE PERPENDICULAR TO THE WAVES, #2) WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT CLEARING A WAVE PADDLE YOUR ASS OFF INTO IT TO PUNCH THROUGH. In a daylight launch there are times you can see the large waves coming and stop or reverse your paddling to AVOID it curling on you. A wave curling on you is the worst. In the dark your'e not so lucky to have the time to stop or reverse your paddling.
I've had large waves turn me about 45 degrees, but I immediately went perpendicular and paddled hard for the next hit. I've had it happen where 3 waves in a row pushed me back and 45 degrees sideways, but because I righted myself right away, I was able to get past the large set eventually. I truly believe you couldn't have flipped if you'd followed this advice.
And of course I'm sure you'll remember #3) ALWAYS KEEP EVERYTHING STRAPPED IN/DOWN.

Sorry to hear about your flipping, I hope you didn't lose too many valuables.

And if I sound redundant in this post, I'm just trying to emphasize to anyone who has doubts about launching in the dark (or daylight) the importance of "how to launch" so as to not experience what you did. Better luck next time.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 11-02-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote