View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
PescadorPete

In Mammoth, Lake Mary by the dam is pretty good. Anywhere along June Lake loop is also pretty good. But both places have too much "Power Bait" for my liking.

If you really want to see some cool spots, wander a bit north (Bridgeport area) - less humanity, better scenery and certainly within your day tripping range.

Alpine - Virginia lakes 10,000'+ easy hike from the car
Creek fishing - Green Creek (my favorite secret spot) up around Dynamo pond
Upper and Lower Twin lakes outside Bridgeport - kayak friendly - BMF Alpers and brown trout
East Walker river (start behind the Walker River lodge and work out past the "airport" to the resevoir) in Bridgeport
Bridgeport Reservior.
BTW - a sundowner beer or glass of wine at the Mono Inn overlooking the Mono Lake is pretty special - enjoy the Ansel Adams prints upstairs - his granddaughter owns the place.

I opted for new territory this summer - northeast New Mexico. Jeez - now I think I need a fall trip to Bridgeport. If you get to Bridgeport, Ken's on Main Street will put you on the fish. What a great part of the world.

If you are thinking about fishing or camping the Eastern Sierra & your not up for fighting the traffic & crowds at Mammoth or June Lakes, then try the Bridgeport area, north on Hwy 395.
Green Creek is a signed dirt road just past the Bodie ghost town turn off headed north. The graded wide dirt road is approx. 8 miles long & dead ends at a Toiyabe National Forest campground called Green Creek. The drive up can be washboard bumpy in some parts, but that doesn't stop the thousands of adventurous motorhomes that make this trek annually. This place features some of the best prime Sierra back roads camping options for RVs.

Plain old passenger cars can easily make this route deep into the Eastern Sierra aspen canyon. Backpackers can enjoy easy access to the Hoover Wilderness trailheads. There is plenty semi-primitive camping spots along the way, right on the creek, so no need to sleep in your vehicle upon arrival.
Aspen, fall colors peak in early October.

Attached Images

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote