View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

North County Thresher

Nice day on the water Sunday. Easy launch and landing, calm water and sunshine. Bait readily available just outside the wave zone full of greenbacks but a little on the small size. Loaded up and headed out to the Canyon where there was no signs of life so I headed back in towards Carlsbad State Beach.

Saw a cattle boat (Electra) working the inside kelp which was funny because I saw them heading South earlier in the morning. As I was approaching the area I spotted a rock with a lot of life below so I worked that area for about 30 minutes for no luck.

Decided to move a little and then one of my rods light up. It was the bottom feeder with a live mac and egg sinker keeping it low. As I grab the rod and get situated I hear a BIG SPLASH. I look up and see the after effect from the splash but didn't see the fish. The reel screams and it's on.

This was the image from my glasses as I looked up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I get a slay ride for the next couple of minutes and I think I'm gaining on her when she decided to show me who's boss. A quick rip of half my spool of 65 lb braid and then a snap. Broke at the swivel.

After reeling in all of the line I start to tie on a new rig. Just as I get that done and pinned on a new lively the other rod goes off. After a quick battle up comes the predator with a long tail. After deciding I was going to keep it I then fumble for the next 15 minutes on how to land this beast.

Turns out not quite the beast after all but a perfect little one to take home.

[IMG][/IMG]

That was it for the day as I had a bit of a paddle to get back to the landing zone. All in all a great day on the water.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote