View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Harry Hill

a real fish report for a change

I hit Newport today, 6/8. The tide was as low as I've ever seen it. I was knee deep in black mud just to get my yak to float. I paddled out of the CG beach area to the main channel and cast a white zoom fluke on a 3/8 bullet head. Caught a calico on the first cast, then for the next hour and a half I caught a fish on every cast. It was crazy, maybe six keepers and the rest short, when the bite slowed down I decided to paddle up to the bait barge, so I trolled the jig and caught calicos and barracuda all the way up. Everyone up there was catching fish including a fly fisherman in a hobie I talked with. I caught my first halibut today, it was only a 10" fish but it was still a first and caught on the jig. I also caught a small sculpin. Then I paddled outside the bay but I didn't know where to go to look for rock fish so I went out about to the channel bouy but then I was lost for where to go so I turned around and headed back. All in all a great day on the water. I was loaded up and on the road by noon.