Thread: Dunuhnuhnuh
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
951: I learned quite a bit last season (& still learning). From what I have read and been told, the GWS in LJ are not the size of the ones you see leaping out of the water in places like South Africa. I think that’s my greatest fear is having a big submarine launching my yak into the air. I haven’t seen a GWS at La Jolla, but know they’re there from others who have shared their experiences. With all dogs and baby dogs, the GWS have a round the season supply of food.

Last summer was the year of the HH. Similar to your story, my first sighting scared the piss out of me. However, after seeing many HH (off LJ and Oceanside) and learning more about their diet (mainly tuna, bonito, etc.), each sighting got easier on the nerves, though it’s still edgy. HH’s are just curious creatures looking for some food. I would never hang my mackerel-sized feet off the yak with a HH swimming around. I’m sure that’s what happened to the dude up north last year…the HH just mistook his foot for a fish.

Keep your catch on board on you’ll be fine. Just be sure to cover it – I learned the hard way that a dog will take your catch from your bow if it’s not hidden or tied down.

Much respect, always learning. Skunked on the kayak thus far the 10 or so times out, but she will come, and all of this helpful information will come into play, especially with stowing the large catch!
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote