View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
onetriphudson

I've seen these worms in Calicos too, but they seemed to be more prevalent in fish from areas like LA and Palos Verdes. For a few years Malaga Cove was my spot and occasionally I would harvest a calico for tacos. At times the filets would be crawling with too many of these critters and I'd lose my appetite.

As well, any sandies I caught around marina del rey would have some fierce parasites on the outside and I never bothered to find out what the filets looked like. The grass and plants in that area would come up on my lures covered in some kind of tiny clear parasite that had a sort of a "constant stabbing-motion" with its tail or head that was shaped like a thorn. I assumed that was how it would find a host... not cool to see dozens of these things on a tiny swatch of plant life. I wouldn't want to go wading in that water but I saw a guy actually surfing the storm runoff at the mouth of the Bollona creek one time. Longboard and shorts, having the time of his life while trash bags and styrofoam cups floated by.