Thread: First timer
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Thanks to mike and shane for showing me the ropes out in the bay yesterday.

Mike has been trying to get me fly fishing for some time now. A couple months ago I picked up a TFO setup and got a chance to use it yesterday in San diego bay. I had low expectations only because I wasnt sure If I would understand the cast or actually catch fish, but man I was wrong. After a couple corrections suggested by the guys, I started to really enjoy just casting. Fly is going to bring me a completely different aspect into the sport. Now my fiancé may never see me.

Mike let me borrow a couple if his handmade ties since I dont have any in my box yet. This orange guy which I am guess is pretty big in the fly world, landed me some spotted bay bass and a bonefish. According to Mike this is the "holy grail" of fly species for a san diego fly angler. He was mentioning the significance of this fish through out the day. It did fight hard on the long light rod and I thoroughly enjoyed being out there.

Cant wait to give the fly a shot in Baja.

Here is a picture of the homemade fly Ill let Mike post his name he has for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good times! Definitely a nice alternative when the surf is up and we can't go for yellows. Baja is definitely in the forcast this year to go for some roosters!
I'll call this fly "The Bony Bum Tickler" haha!
Cheers mate!