View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Joe11

I always leash my mirage drive to a padeye, generally keep it locked in and bungeed on the way out. Coming in is a judgement call because I think that is when you have the greatest chance of damaging the drive. I noticed once when I had the peddles bungeed on flat water and was paddling in reverse, the peddles started to come together meaning the masts were being pulled off the bottom of the yak. When you land in the surf and get out while still in the water the water/wave/surge that passes underneath your yak from stern to bow will pull your masts off the bottom of the yak even with the bungee attached. When landing, I generally take out the mirage drive and keep it leashed. Put another bungee over the top of it, raise the rudder and paddle in.

I have learned to excercise a great deal of patience timing my landing to avoid the yard sale roll and since doing so it has paid off. I am not in a hurry. Been on the wate for quite a few hours by then whats a few more minutes looking for the best opportunity.

Enjoy your new ride.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote