View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
Most fishfinder manufacturers have transducers capable of shooting through a kayak hull, but often they are not the transducers that come with the unit. Low end Lowrance transducers are not able to shoot through the hull. Check before you decide how to mount the transducer. Having the transducer sticking out the bottom of the kayak is not a good way to mount it IMO.
This is good to know. I'm not positive that it can be trusted, but the users manual that came my FF states it can shoot-thru. The Mark-4 HDI is a low-end Lowrance, but it's in the same family as the Elite-4 and I think I have heard of others doing shoot-thru transducer mounting with the Elite-4.

I could hypothetically use a ram ball wedge mount in the flush mount rod holder behind the front seat and use a transducer arm. I'm also interested in the magnetic transducer mounts which seem pretty cool. I wouldn't be opposed to using the scupper mount adapter (or sprinkler plumbing mod) so long as it's not a loading/unloading risk.

I'm learning a bunch from this thread, guys. Keep the knowledge coming!
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote