View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #29
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
I've been having some Hobie livewell issues the last three times I headed out. After replacing the switch I thought I had everything fixed, but it died again. The pump seems to work just fine, but dies after some time, and sometime being about 5 hours.
Which leads me to believe it is the battery.
When fully charged and allowed to rest for a day, the standing voltage is 6.2volts. I believe this is too low.
If you have a few minutes, could you check the standing voltage on your fully charged 6volt battery with a meter and let me know what the reading is? Trying not to waste $$ on a battery if that's not the issue, but your findings will confirm or debunk my theory. Thanks so much.
Chris
I had the same problem, started using my newer XL tank battery(same size) in my regular hobie live well and the problem went away, ie the older battery does not hold a charge for as long. Answering your question, I just put the volt meter on the old, new and charger with the following results:

7.0 Volts for the old battery that only lasts 5 hours
7.0 volts for the charger
6.8 volts for the newer battery that lasts all day

Conclusion - just because a battery will charge to a higher voltage does not mean it will last longer. The older battery must have some kind of memory damage, thus it discharges faster.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote