View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
I've spent many a sleepless nights debating between the slayer propel or the Hobie PA. I thought the slayer propel 10 was going to be the final decision because my home launch involves a steep climb on the return, and it dresses out at 70ish lbs.
I agree with allof your pro's but the reverse aspect of the slayer propel is the real game changer. Fishing kelp lines, wharf structures, break waters and being able to hold your offset hands free seems ideal. My only reason for considering the Hobie PA is that thing is a beast and is SO proven. When you're about to drop $2500 on anything you should be eliminating risk. So I'm still torn, but when the xmas bonus comes in, I'll be the owner of one of them.

Good Luck and let me know if you end up getting one. Also the OEX guys will let you try one out for $50 and you can use that towards your purchase.

Well I still have not used my newly purchased 2013 Hobie Outback. However, since I learned about another option to Hobie with "pedal" drive, I am starting to look into it.

Two things bother me most about Hobie.
1) The monopoly they have in the market, thus no one can sell less than they want. Anything with a label Hobie on it seems way overpriced.
2) There are too many parts to the expensive Mirage Drive. Chances of failure are higher. Replacement parts are not cheap.

As to the plus side of the “Propel” drive; and if you watch the maintenance video of the unit, it seems very basic.
There is one shaft with one gear at each end. All sealed. No cables, cams, etc.

Pros---for Native Slayer Propel 13
The reverse capability is game changer for sure,
The drive unit lifts and a pivot for beach landing, no leash is needed.
The rudder does not have to be lifted for beach landing,
The kayak is very stable,
Lots of pre-mounted rails for accessories, useful features,
One flush-mount rod holder tube,
Nice, easily adjustable seat,
Free shipping is included, thus if I buy it from outside of California, I save about $260.00.
[However, that is bit risky, if there is any damage on route.]

Cons---
Front hatch cover is extra at $90.00,
Specialty cart is $200.00,
Did not see paddle is included at the $2,600.00 price,
The drive unit is locked-in. What happens when it gets shallow suddenly? It would pivot, if not locked-in.
Need to get more information about the above,
Rating of the supplied rudder is not good. There is an upgrade option.

I know I am starting to sound like I am a sales rep for the Native, but I have no affiliation to anybody.

Just thinking out loud. Per say.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote