View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
phisher_man bossin-it
Junior

Honestly the abyss rods are very soft and will put some extra strain on you in the kayak. I had a 909 abyss(20-50) for a short bit and after catching a couple fish on it I did not like how soft even phenixs' heaviest model was. I bought the heaviest of their 9' models because I knew how light the abyss series was. It fishes 30lb decent but it is too soft for 40lb in my opinion. I was casting salas 7x, salas j-pot, and jri 7s. I don't use tady very often with the exception of a few older c's but the jri is almost exactly the same size,shape, and weight as a tady 45 and it casted very well on the abyss.I do use a teramar 90h for my kayak mostly and it is a much faster rod I actually have enjoyed fishing this rod on my kayak most. Extremely lightweight, great lifting power, great hook up and you can fish a range of lure and line sizes. I have fished everything from tady aa all the way up to Starman 112's on lines ranging from 25 to 40lb and the rod handles it all very well.

Also been using a 690j a lot this year as a dedicated 30lb rod and have also really loved. This is a glass rod so it is more parabolic but slings a jig for days.

I have been through quite a few reels and the fathoms(I have a 25n and a 30) are my favorite reel for casting a surface iron at this time! They spin better than most reels I've seen even after upgrades have been made to other reels. I also fish the toriums (16/20) and the saltist( i have the old silver models it will be a 30t) and they work great too. Best thing is the price tag on these reels is reasonable for most to afford. Don't know anything the seagate but have been wanting to try one. Newell are great too if you like old 332 or 338.

Hope this helps in your decision.
phisher_man bossin-it is offline   Reply With Quote