View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #38
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Hoibie probably had the outbacks and revos in mind when they decided on a 230 cm paddle, not the pro angler. I was debating on buying a better paddle for my pro angler if an emergency arises, similar to your case. In my opinion a 240 cm would better suited, maybe even larger, if such a thing exists? Is this is you primary kayak? If it is, I would seriously think about doing a paddle upgrade. Also, depending on usage, maybe replacing all the cables every 2 years, maybe less if you are using the kayak frequently. Overhauling the complete drive every season is not a bad idea. Including lubing the drive and also applying Loctite to the proper places like the shaft pins. Save the cables you removed in a parts bag and should be good to go. Or at the least, reduce your chances of a failure. And lastly, a spare drive is an option. If this is in your budget?
I have an Aqua Bound paddle for my Outback that felt too short to be comfortable.

I cut it in half with my chop saw and inserted a wood pole as a spacer, then wrapped the joint and covered the wood with paracord as a finishing touch. It turned out nice and gives me the extra reach and strength that feels good.

Before I locked the wood spacer into position with epoxy, I went out for some test paddles to figure out what length felt the best for me, relative to the hull of my Outback.

It was a nice improvement.