View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Goose1993

For these species, the gear ratio shouldn't matter much.

For swimbaits like big hammers, I have found that they work best when worked slowly. But a fast or slow gear ratio won't matter, you just need to reel in at the right speed. I fish the central coast for lings often. I use 6.5 inch big hammers. I pretty much drop them down to the bottom and slowly move them, letting the current wiggle their tail and give them the swimming action. Clearly, the gear ratio would make no difference. This technique works well in the winter for calicos too.

Now that yellowtail have slowed down, I'll fish for calicos. I use the same reel I use for yellowtail which is an Avet MXL 5.8. I'll just put 20 # mono on instead of 30 # mono. I'll mainly be fishing swimbaits. I'll just adjust my reeling speed until I get the lure to swim at the speed I like.

If I were you I would go with a high speed reel. All my reels are high speed single speed. I have never felt the need for a low speed to turn the head on a big pelagic, and never had a problem fishing for smaller inshore fish.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote