View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Seeker Rod Advice for Alaska since we don't have dealers.

So I think a few of ya know me as that guy from Alaska. We don't really have any bona fide Seeker dealers in town so I was hoping maybe the folks in California where Seeker is based might have a better clue.

When I first started fishing halibut and king salmon, I really liked the Shimano Trevala rods. I found I like the heavier action sticks more than the lighter ones though the heavier weight was a con.

I then picked up a used Seeker Hercules SHS 60H (40 to 80-lbs braid rating). Love the rod. I liked the thinner blanks of the Shimano, but I feel like I could land a Bull Moose with this rod even though its not super heavy.

To see how light I could go I tried a lot of different rods for kings and butts. Well here is what i found. All the conventional graphite sticks snap when fishing with heavy weights or you hook a 60lbs halibut. The rod I thought worked the best after trying everything from 4wt flyrods to ultrlight trout rods??? No lie, I think it was the Barbie rod. Thin, light, seemed unbreakable. Handled king salmon and small halibut Got a 75 pound halibut to the kayak. So its enough rod.

Well I am not going to make Barbie my main rod, so I was looking for a light weight rod that could withstand about 15 pounds of drag max. Parabolic actin, but stiff enough that it acts like a fast action rod until you have a bigger fish on. Basically a jigging stick though I troll a lot.

I typically troll 8 to 12 oz of weight with about 10 pounds of drag. I don't need to be able to cast it.

I am thinking the Seeker Hercules SHS 70L (7ft) rated for 15 to 30lbs.

Are there any other rods that might fit this bill?? I'd like to try a few seeker rods first but other brands would be considered as well. Thanks in advance.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote