View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #18
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
RE: "harpoons"

From the DFW website:

Methods of Take: When angling, no more than one line with two hooks attached may be used. A harpoon, gaff, or net may be used to assist in taking a Pacific halibut that has been legally caught by angling. See California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 28.95, for additional restrictions on the use of harpoons. Take by spearfishing is allowed pursuant to California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 28.90.

Trying to sort these things out can be confusing. They talk a lot about Pacific halibut, not so much about California halibut. I find less, not more restrictions on California halibut. I can not find any further restrictions in the actual regulations. I DO find lots of 3rd party interpretations and half-assed speculations that are all over the place.
Unless it says in the literature that you may use a harpoon to land California Halibut, or a harpoon may be used on legal sized finfish in general, I wouldn't make the assumption that it is legal to do so.

FWIW, I have found a lip gripper to be sufficient in landing Hali. Control the head and you control the fish... For the most part. I haven't had any experience landing big fish from a kayak yet though, so it must be quite different.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote