View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #20
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Sorry to hear about your back issues Mike.
There could be many reasons for the pain you're suffering. It might be as simple as gaining too much weight (due to advancing age), poor posture, a chronic muscle spasm, or as Andy (my Physical Therapist and confirmed by my orthopedic surgeon) wearing a thick wallet in your back pocket.
I suffered a work related back injury back in 2007, however mine got worse with time. I had pain, tingling, muscle spasms, weakness and intermittent loss of function in my lower extremities. In 2009 it got so bad I couldn't work any longer and haven't been able to work since. It also severely limited my outdoor/fishing time and after August 2013 I could no longer fish for 12 hour a day like I used to, stand on the bank of a stream searching for/watching trout rise for hours and load/unload my kayak by myself. I've not seen the water since.
After being examined by a couple of orthopedic surgeons it was decided it was necessary to have a couple MRI's performed. My result was very much like Brandon's with the exception that there is no gap between the L5-S1 discs, just a dark line (no gap and misaligned/herniated discs).
As it was explained to me, there are "o-rings" between our discs filled with liquid that acts as gaskets that keep the discs separate. It is between these gaps that our nerve roots exit the spine and are susceptible to damage. I tore open the o-ring (it's called an "anular tear") in my L5-S1 gap that resulted in the fluid leaking out and there being no gap and over time and without it, the discs are pinching the nerves to my lower body.
If after the course of your current recovery program, your still in pain, I would recommend you obtain a referral for an Orthopedic surgeon and receive a more thorough exam and expert opinion. Let him decide a course of action and discuss your options.
I hope it's something simple and not as serious as Brandon's or my situation.
Best wishes,
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 09-16-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote