View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
summers in kuwait

The back is the worse!

Im very sympathetic of people with back problems, but I know that each individual is different and manages their pain differently.

When I was 14 I had a back injury. After MRI's, Ultrasounds and Bone Scans the Dr. believed there to be a couple hairline fractures on my l6 and l4. Neither him, nor I wanted to purse surgery due to all the risks, age and continued growth. I was sent to physical therapy, which helped some, but the best things for me at the time were surfing, YOGA, acupuncture and not over doing it when lifting or playing sports.

Fast forward 18 years, I have good days and bad. But stretching/YOGA has been one of the best things for me. Not only is strengthening the back important, but your stomach as well. There are days I can't get put my boots on without laying on my back.

Pain management is another important aspect. When I was younger, they gave me Vicodin and other things that weren't the best for me. I've found more "natural" methods of pain relief and they help and don't have some of the same nasty side effects.

Kayak wise, I used to fight fishing in my tarpon 120 after a few hours. I added a garden kneeling pad to my seat and that gave me another hour or two of relief, but as previously mentioned moving to the new the Vantage seat I can fish all day without the same pain. Im also the guy that stretches on the beach for 10 mins before heading out just like I do when surfing.

Hope you find relief.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote