View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
When people say it sucks they are referring to them snapping, as in the blade snaps off on the older ones. Last year Hobie changed manufacturers and Cannon is making their paddles now.

Fiberglass and carbon fiber, shafts and blades are better than aluminum and nylon.
Hobie puts a lot of effort into the things they design -- both for style & benefit, and so things break as soon as possible, just outside of warranty. I find myself constantly having to replace unique and proprietary Hobie components that break.

For Hobie, "all parts are replacable" (yay!) --- by intent and design. They are all difficult to substitute with non-Hobie solutions, and they are all expensive. It's part of the master plan, I'm sure.

As a matter of fact, the plastic buckle of the strap that holds my new Livewell to the deck behind my seat just shattered for no particular reason. I've been using my new Livewell for about a month. I already replaced the plastic nut that holds the circulation pump in place because the overly soft threads stripped. It's typical. I bought a new deep size Hobie "tupperware" gear bucket for the center hatch a few weeks ago and it's already splitting vertically in three places. It looks good, it fits, and it's meant to be con$umable, dispo$able and replace$able.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-05-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote