View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Why are you over lowrance?
Lowrance has really cut corners on quality with their lower priced fishfinders, maybe the more expensive ones as well but I'm only relaying first hand information, but the big reason is their customer service and support. The reason I bought the cheapest Lowrance is that I was worried about poor customer service in case something went wrong and that proved to be the case from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Gonna thread jack here, sorry. I have a eagle cuda 168 my pops bought years ago. I've used it on lakes at its accurate with depth and temps, but structure is iffy and don't even talk about fish. Has anyone had a better experience with this fish finder? If memory serves correct it was cheap, maybe 70 bucks?
I have had an Eagle Cuda 168 on the my kayak for the past ten years or so. It stopped working, that's why I bought a Lowrance Elite 3x to replace it. Turned out to be a bad wire in the transducer harness. I did a test with two brand new Elite 3x fishfinders and the old Cuda 168; the Elite 3x color screen was nice looking, but the Cuda 168 was more accurate across the board. Both fishfinders, in fact most of Lowrance's lower priced units, use the same transducer. Try adjusting the sensitivity on the Cuda 168 and don't use the "fish ID" setting, use the one that shows arcs. I don't really trust fishfinders to find fish, I just use them to find out where they might be.

Until I find a replacement, the Cuda 168 is back on the boat. It may not be the best fishfinder in the world, but it works.