View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
TINCANYAK
Junior

Dana Point today Mr. Hammerhead

I've been following BWE for little over a year and thought I would share my first post with everyone. Launched at 6:30 this morning under overcast smooth water and paddled up to the Strand with Chris and dog-on-board Hanna. Tosses three nice keeper sand bass in the sack out of the mix and even landed my first kayak yellowtail albeit only 20" so I thought it would be good Karma to release. By 12:30 I was content and started to head back inside staying about 50 yards off the break wall. Just after passing Ocean Institute I got a big bump underneath the rear. Turning around I knew something was not right and that's when Mr. Hammerhead pulled right under my right arm skimming the top and I'm thinking what am I to do? Do I hit him with my paddle or will that only agitate him? Then another bump from under as I am now paddling as fast as I can but his interest is stuck on me. I think just toss my squid over and make it to the rocks thinking I can escape his persistence, but two minutes later bump again and I'm thinking this 8 foot hammerhead wants to knock me in the water and eat me. With nobody around other that a solo fisherman on the rocks pointing while yelling "Shark" , I yell back "I know he's been on me". Getting in about 15 yards from the rocks did not deter him and I was thinking if I end up in the water can I make it to the rocks, most likely not? Finally after a half dozen bumps and my heart pounding I round the harbor entrance corner shaken in disbelief. TJ thanks for pairing up at this point and the advice to smack him next time. It was such a relief to be in the harbor. I have read other post on Mr. Hammerhead, but its a whole new level of creepy to experience it out there alone. He was obviously excited by the dead fish scent and squid slick out of the drain holes, so now I'm thinking fish bag? I really do not want this to keep me out of the water, but I definitely need to make some changes so as not to encounter Mr. Hammerhead again. Reported the incident to Harbor Patrol and OC Lifeguard.
Oh yeah....Karma was with me today.

John (Tincanyak)
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote