Thread: How many today
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
There's always dogs around. As far as catch and release goes who is conducting this study I'd love to read it. I find it hard to believe that they have a high survival rate. I have only caught one with physical damage and have seen and caught a lot of fish Lately. I'd say over 100 from LA jolla alone. Only one was injured and that I think was done when sea dog grabbed my fish. Got him back somehow with 4 gashes. So as far as resiliency I would have to see the study myself before I believe it. And my hand is competely rashed up from hand landing these fish the last few trips. It's not an easy idea getting them in fast without wearing them out too bad and getting the hook out without killing them. But I will be releasing anything under 30 lbs from now on. Unless I'm out at home.
Just something for you to gnaw on, since obviously you live on YT alone. Dos Ballenas is a YT genetics researcher for Scripps Institute (or something to that effect). He has caught more YT than you have probably ever imagined. I am guessing that his release rate is probably around 99%? If he says something about YT (even the Australian breed), then you can pretty much take it to the bank.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote