View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 AM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
If I'm not mistaken, those were Bluefin, caught on the "New Lo-Ann" in U.S. waters on an overnight trip. One weighed out at 197# and the next biggest weighed out at 137#. My understanding is that they could have had more (150-200#'s) except for the fact most passengers hadn't brought any heavy gear, 40-50# outfits were getting spooled! They had back-to-back trips where they located a school of "cows". On one of the trips (the first I believe) they had a busted rod and equipment issues on at least 6-12 fish. They went 0-for on that trip, they did bring home a couple about 75-100#. They recommend bringing at least one 60-80# outfit for these toads, they're (Capt. and crew) complaining that even 60# gear doesn't always work out!
I can't wait to see what size Bigeye show up and when.
I gots to head to the shop to load up my 50W with 100# and replace the bearings on a few of the roller guides on my 60-80-100# rods.
I can tell you one thing, I'd love to be out there on the water if someone hooked up one of those from a kayak! That would be one heck of a "sleigh ride" !
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote