View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Dark_Knight_9C1

Taken for a Ride

Finally made it backout on the water yesterday. I have probably only fished off my kayak three times and never caught anything sizable.
Went out of Newport and stuck around the south jetty, which I have been fishing off of and always had mackerel and batrays come out to play.
It didn't dissappoint this day either. I got a few mackeral right away and sent out my pole for the batrays. Hooked up with one about 1/2 hour later and went on my first ride. About a half hour later and two hundred yards from the jetty I got it to the surface. Easy 40+" batray.

Next I caught a foot long lizard fish which I promptly put on my long pole and thru out. I nice 3-4 foot leopard came to play.

I ran into a school of mackerel and was pulling in multiple fish on the sabiki. I got one small one and thru him out next for another 3 to 4 foot leopard shark.

Didn't bring any of them into the kayak. I decided not so after the mackerel I was catching were making their way into the pant leg of my swim trunks as they were flopping around on my seat.

All in all a good day. There were quite a few others outside of Newport too. Didn't see any birds diving but there were alot of small fry and mackerel. The biggest mackerel was 14". A lot bigger than I'm use to. Should turn out to be a great weekend.

I want to say thanks again to the guy who helped me get my kayak out of the water. I didn't exactly have my land legs yet and kept sliding on the sand and falling backwards.

Thanks to all out there who have contributed to this forum. I have learned a lot from it and finally put it to good use.

Cheer.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote