View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I went over to an auto parts store and picked up a cheapie set of jumper cables with size 8 wiring for my internal wires from the circuit breaker to the battery.
Replaced the big clamps with some smaller ones for the battery attachment.
Also, one can attach their fish finder wires the battery if so desired.

Anyway, the finished product.

Notice the clamp I added on the post above the motor - this keeps one from pulling the motor up past a point that the prop will hit the bottom of the hull.

Minn Kota states that with this motor which has 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds, one uses about 8 amps at setting 1, 16 amps at 2, 24 at 3, 32 at 4 and all 40 at 5 or full speed. A 55 amp hour battery should last accordingly - I don't know as I've not worn down the battery enough to have the unit shut down on me. The top of this motor has a battery meter that checks battery strength at 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% as long as the motor is not turned on.

Anyway - works great, just wanted to share as it was a fun little project. Not making any statements on CF numbers - you should checkout the regs for your personal usage. I drop it in when I get outside, peddle around in the harbor and at fishing spots. Be sure to secure it with some parachute cord and a clamp of some sort to the yak.

Last edited by Montesdad; 05-26-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Montesdad is offline   Reply With Quote