View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
esdees
The Good Clone

Threshers are easy to deal with because they wear themselves out during the fight. When fighting, landing, and releasing threshers, I've never had a problem or felt like I was in any danger. They do jump, but only early in the fight.

Makos are a very different story. They seem to go wherever they are pulled, meaning they come straight to you when you hook them and they don't wear themselves out. When I used a bait tube, makos would come out of nowhere and start chewing on it (this happened at least three times). They also like to jump, but sporadically.

I've only hooked one hammerhead and that was the best fight I've ever had from a kayak. That's the only time that I've ever needed to splash water on my reel to cool it off (except for that one sealion, but those don't count).

If you end up catching a big shark, I would recommend that you release it. There is only so much weight you can carry on a kayak and you will NOT be able to drag it behind you (keyword: drag), unless you don't mind going half a mile an hour (or less). Makos and threshers are tasty. I've never tried them, but blues and hammerheads are supposed to be bad. I don't know about the other sharks.

Good luck. I'll make at least one shark trip this year.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote