View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

depends on the baits you are throwing, and how comfortable you are with light tackle. I fish a six foot medium light rod with 10lb braid for light weight jigs 3/8oz or less and swimbaits without a big lead head, and a 7 foot medium rod for small redfish spinners and chatterbaits. For bigger swimbaits (with over 1/2oz lead heads ) I use a bigger 6'6'' medium heavy baitcaster, or a 7ft medium weight bait caster. I personally love light tackle and the fight that you get using my smallest rod the 6ft spinning setup. You dont need a heavy jig to get down to 50+feet and the lighter line cast better, and even a 10'' spottie will put a bend in the rod. I fished a lot for smallmouth bass in the Midwest and I really didn't need to change any of my setups when I moved out here, at least when I fish Mission Bay. Basically the more finesse the technique the lighter the rod and reel, if I am burning a 1oz spinnerbait I need a heavier setup to account for additional drag the bait is creating, if I am dragging a curly tail grub along the bottom I want to feel the difference between a bite and clump of eel grass, the light setup allows for great feel. Hope this helps!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote