View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
My advice would be to set out to find 3 to 4 set-ups provided you can afford them.
1. 9-10 foot rod for throwing the iron with a simple star drag reel. I would start with a reel which can hold a sufficient amount of 40# mono.
2. Live bait setup this is purely up to the angler. I happen to like longer rods 7.5-8.5 because i use them on long range fishing boats and they cast bait well. It is also easier to put the rod around the front of the kayak. I like rods in the 40-60 pound range for lj fishing. I like and star drag or lever drag reel spooled with 65# braid and a 10 foot topshot.
3. yoyo iron setup. Short stout rod and any high speed reel will do. I like to fish braid 65# but another choice is 40# mono.
4. bait/dropper loop setup. My bait rod is one i would switch for dropper loop after I'm finished making bait. It can be similar or the same as your live bait rod.

Knots you need to know.

I use the ten turn bob sands knot for mono to flouro.
San diego jam for irons.
The spangler for terminal connections.
Palomar, uni knot

Its a lot of info to start with. Please take the time to learn how to dial in your fish finder as it finds you bait. And lastly don't hesitate to say whats up to everyone and anyone on the water. You never know who is gonna lead you to that honey hole. You are gonna get a lot of responses as far as gear. best of luck finding what you are looking for.

^^^ Reply of the day goes to you sir. Very insightful.