Thread: Sail
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

my 2 cents,

A sail is good, but it limits where you can launch with it. You don't want the sail to unravel if you crash in the surf. If the wind is powerful enough you reach the hull speed of your kayak, i recently installed an electric bilge pump inside my kayak because of all the water i would take in when the bow gets submerged in strong wind.

I find the sail only usable at the end of a long day of fishing, when the afternoon winds pick up, but it also isolates you from any of your fishing buddies because you will leave them behind.

If i take my sail out i usually fish the opposite side of the wind direction that way the wind can take me to port. Sailing upwind is a pain due to the zig zag motion.

I got a motor to keep me in place in strong currents when fishing. ( i like the motor more)

if i could go back again, i would get 2 batteries instead of a sail. In strong wind i always feel like im holding on for dear life.

Here is a video of the a guy who loves sailing. I have more junk on my kayak :P

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-11-2015 at 07:31 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote