View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Which way were they headed?
I remember back around '83-84 we ("Redondo Special") were fishing just inside "the point" (Rocky Point) catching bass, and .
We had been harassed all morning by seals but as soon as we spotted a pod of about 5 breaking the water, it wasn't long for the seals to realize the Killer Whales were in the area and it looked like a stampede as EVERY ONE of them hauled @$$ towards the safety of the harbor!
Once they left we continued to catch fish without any further harassment.
I don't know if they are a danger to surfers and Kayakers. I don't recall any incidents of death from an attack but I do recall hearing of one bumping a kayaker hard enough to knock the person out of the kayak but NOT attacking the kayaker. I also remember a marine biologist being interviewed about the incident stating that the Whale probably mistook the kayak for a floating toy and was probably playing with it.
I sure would like to know more though as there have been more sightings along the Southern California coast in recent years (especially this year so far).
Maybe a contact with the LJ Scripps Institute or Monterey Bay Aquarium might be in order!
FFY

Thanks for that information Andy. I stand corrected/informed!
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 01-11-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Correction.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote