View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #19
Batmann

Thule Racks

I have a Malibu Stealth 12 on top of a compact Ford myself.

I purchased my Thule rack setup at ORS Racks. I bought the most expensive items when they popped in the "returns section" for about 1/2 price. You can use the Thule website to see what fits your car. If Thule is a bit over budget I found the Inno branded racks to be of very good quality and found them to be equal if not better than the Yakima IMHO.

http://redhots.orsracksdirect.com/

AEROBLADE-LOAD-BARS ARB 47" AEROBLADE LOAD BARS +
Thule 1565 Fit Kit Clips + Thule 480R Rapid Traverse Foot Pack

When loading on the back of the car I use a shower mat on the rear of the hatchback to rest the bow of the boat with part of the mat covering the roof and the other part covering the rear windshield. I then move to the rear and push the boat up onto the rack. The shower mat has on old yoga mat folded over about four times and zip-tied to the shower mat to provide some extra protection between the hull of the kayak and the car.

I recommend the Thule 883 Glide and Set Kayak Rack for loading solo. Using J-bars would be almost impossible to do solo. I picked up the Thule 883 for about $100 on Ebay.

This setup has been rock solid. I personally wouldn't trust loading solo onto the roof without a solid rack. There is a risk of damage to the kayak if it slides of the roof when loading as well as damage to the roof itself when strapping the kayak down to make sure its secure. For about $400 you can avoid damage to your vehicle, kayak or another party by installing a roof rack.

Personally if I had the storage space I would use a Marlone Sport Trailer or Yakima Rack and Roll but I lack the ability to store it.
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote