View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I have this Monday off, I have never fished Dana Point and don't feel like fighting traffic on the way home. I was thinking of fishing Newport Beach let me know if you are interested in fishing Newport.

Possibly, I'm in the opposite boat as you as I live about a mile from DP harbor if that. If no one else is going out my side I may take you up on the offer. How is launching out of Newport? As a noob launching out of baby beach in the harbor is awesome haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I was just out of DP on Saturday. If it stays similar to what it was then you should try somewhere else. There's fish around, but the bait situation was crazy. Billions of mackerel everywhere, took me about 30 seconds to fill the bait tank near the breakwall. In 70' of water over the pipe there was mackerel from 10' down to 50' solid. In 120' looking into the water was like looking into a snowglobe at times, just sparkles everywhere from the macs with them crashing the surface at times. I'm pretty sure any game fish around was stuffed full of macs. Dropping a mac down into a school of a billion others is obviously pointless. I heard similar reports from others that went towards the headlands.

Unless of course you are targeting mackerel, then DP is where to go!

At this point I'm just trying to get out on the water and get a feel for it, as I said total noob even to saltwater fishing to be honest. Only been out once on a charter boat with little success. Been out on the water with the yak a couple of times just no real solid day of fishing so the hotspots are something I have yet to find or really even know about, all things I'm looking to learn. Thanks for the info on the mack attack, even that would be good practice filling up my live well.
Disp0sablehero is offline   Reply With Quote