View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I started wearing waders - but when it was time to empty the bladder - it was a pain. Someone told me about watching someone trying to launch at LJ. It was a bigger surf day and the story teller said her and her friend had decided not to go. The guy trying to launch flipped, was wearing waders, and had a hard time getting out of the surf. They noticed him having so much trouble and went in to pull him out. After that I decided to get the Kokatat pants. I've wiped out a number of times with them and it is way easier when nature calls. I wear them all year - yeah, even when it is hot because I don't want to get fried by the sun, and in cooler temps, I get cold easy once I get wet from launching. Underneath I'll either have swim shorts, or warm up pants.

I believe that faithful day your referring to that resonates in my mind like yesterday, was almost my last..If indeed it was the same story, Sharon & Steve saved my life. (I am an excellent swimmer, surfer, diver, spearo, ect & I wear waders on my yak 365 & my PFD on about 80% of the time.Still..) Those are controlled situations, as I have mentioned before. The myth has not been debunked IMHO.
Real world situation: It was a huge cold winter morning, but I was competing in the WCW, and no day was going to stop me from getting out, or so I thought.
I had pierced through overhead waves countless times before with my old Prowler, and came out the victor. Although this day dealt me a different set. Literally. I probably couldn’t see the roller building outside on account of all the other ones firing and trying to get my timing to charge over the impact zone. Either way those facts of the story are insignificant to the OP question, so when it rains it pours, & when the sheet hits the fan…Look out!
It was cold winter water & after getting slammed solid, scorpion flipped to the bottom, I took in a small breath of water directly into my lungs right as I finally came to the surface, and got hammered by a few more forcing a hundred extra pounds of saltwater down into my stocking feet & going through the washing machine. (For those of you that haven’t experienced this, it is painful, and extremely scary as you try your best to get just one tiny bit of oxygen before you feel yourself slowly pass out and eventually drown.) It was really early in the morning and I didn’t think anyone would even see me, much less come to help, because I couldn’t even yell 1 single word. Waiting to die. The cold water had already shocked my system, and getting slammed held down for multiple waves wasn’t fun..Not thinking straight at this critical point, I couldn’t get my bearings to realize my feet felt like I was given Jimmy Hoffa’s shoes. I flailed my arms in a last ditch attempt & somehow two angels were soon hauling me off the ‘football field’ in fine BWE fashion. (Important detail to note: My nasal passageways are almost completely blocked due to a completely smashed septum. I have to breath out of my mouth, making air while surfing, diving, swimming a little difficult for me sometimes.)
When, and I do mean “WHEN” you crash, it will not be the most practical of situations. In fact ,it is going to be the worst case in point. I am sorry to be the bearer of this news, but it is reality, and everyone should be prepared. Launchings & landings are going to be the most challenging situations while wearing waders of course.
This could have easily been avoided, had I just put my tail between my legs and headed home with the heater running, as a few kayakers did that dreaded morning…
Thank you again Steve & Sharon for running into the chilly surf, to drag my lifeless body adorned with three mill cinderblock shoes from out of the relentless assault..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote