View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
bwana

DP, should have hit LJ

Stayed local, later wish I hadn't...

Water temp varied from 67.9 to 71.5 degrees. Overcast. Sloppy offshore conditions. Wind blowing one way, current and swell another. 2 – 3 ‘ swell. NNW wind picked up steady 10 – 15 MPH about 10:30. Launched about 0600, returned before noon.

FF GPS stated 8.91 miles paddled. I headed north out of DP to other side of Salt Creek almost to Mussel Cove.

Hooked on a small bonito at the harbor entrance and took him for a ride all the way to the North of Salt Creek. Stayed along 60’ contour until I got close to the point hoping for a thresher or ?.

Current laid down most of the kelp so I paddled inside and outside and across the kelp beds off Salt Creek and Strands hoping something would hit him. Not even a strike. Moved back outside red buoy on the point and caught a limit of small bonito for lobster fishing. Could have easily caught hundreds. Came across small bonito schools from the harbor entrance to beyond the point.

Now I have enough small bonito chunks for my first night of lobster fishing to partially fill each bait cage. Need to catch some more.

Passed a kayaker fishing on the inside and had a very small halibut hanging off the side on a game clip. Didn't look legal and he had a guilty look about him. Karma has a way of paying back.

Conditions from the fish reports/photos looked much better in LJ.

Wish I had a worthy picture to post..
Mike
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote