Thread: Two Days at DP
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Zed
BANNED

No but I'm sure you can.

Leave the harbor and go out to about 60' on a 270 and hang a R toward 300, staying outside of the kelp. Stay on that contour roughly all the way to Laguna and you're bound to run into 20 of them between 10# and 200#. I've caught them in every month from NoLag to SanO. It's not hard hooking them.

Makos are mixed in too, but those are small ones. Any week now and the schoolie yellows will be around too.

The one I hooked Wed bit like a tuna. I was swapping out to a smaller mack. I pitched it out and it ran and ran until it found another gear. I slid the lever to strike and I was headed off the shelf. I never saw it until late, and it was hooked mid tail. I pulled it up hand over fist to get the hook out, sending the slack tail over the other side, but it didn't like being that far out of the water and took off snapping its tail in front of my face, and I was less than a degree from going swimming. I had backed way off on the drag once I got a hold, so I tightened it again and started over. It was a big girl, in that upper range.