View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
bwana

I have been using a bed extender for years.

Last Friday I was at a lake and discovered over two gallons of water inside my kayak. Lately it has been getting worse each trip offshore. I thought my hatches were leaking. No waves crashing over deck that day so hatch leaks could not be the cause. When I cleaned it, flipped it upside down to examine the hull. Found a 1.5” crack at a scupper hole. I caused the problem from using ratcheting ties downs on top of the bed extender. Over the years I tied them down too tight and stressed out the spot. My extender also has a homemade roller covered in a pool noodle and duct tape. Also transported at times with too much weight on the kayak such as Eclipse Hoop nets piled high.

Went to Andy at OEX Sunset Beach and he did a great job fixing a difficult stress point.

This discussion is timely as I am trying to figure out a better method too. I appreciate Tomahawk's suggestions that I would never have thought of such as using lengths of 2" PVC. I too want to transport right side up as I have hard rigged accessories that would take too much time to take off and put back on each trip to transport upside down. A 2 x 4 rack in the bed may be the other way to go to transport on its side.

Thanks again, keep the ideas coming...
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote