View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #21
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
The shark was reacting to being hooked. The video and comments make fisherman look bad, but it's obvious from their gear and what they say that they were not fishing sharks, just stupid kids that had no clue what to do once they hooked the shark.

There was no way that shark was trying to feed on that swimmer and it obviously knew it was hooked. Cutting the line at the reel would of been stupid. The shark would of ended up towing the excess line, and could of eventually died. If you look carefully you can see that before the shark attacked it was on the surface obviously fighting the line moving right to left. It just happened to run into the crowd of swimmers as they crossed paths. If the fisherman had broken it off, or thrown the reel in freespool it would of probably dove or taken off and missed them completely. He was also using spectra. All he had to do to release it was lock up the reel and break it off. Once free it would of left the area.

I've never hooked a white but I have hooked many makos (a whites closest relative) and they will attack boats motors and sometimes even other sharks, especially blue sharks, when hooked. They attack other sharks because they feel threatened, injure them, then leave them bleeding as bait. It's the marine equivalent of being left for the wolves
exactly. except the part about the guys being stupid or dumbasses like I see a lot posting. hook a big fish and watch it go right into a bunch of dumbass swimmers and you'll laugh too. hook an 8ft shark and watch the only two people on the beach, who decided to get in the water right in front of you, get close lined by 150lb mono and you'll laugh. I say "dumbass swimmers" because there are rules about swimming and surfing near piers and anyone who deliberately swims up to a fishing pier deserves to get hooked or tangled in line, that shark did him one better than any fishermen could.

I still have yet to see pics of the injury and I'm willing to bet he sustained them when the shark jumped/thrashed on the surface due to the line and leader. sure the sharks skin may have given him a rash or a tooth caught somewhere but that was it. I've never seen a white go air born when hooked but they do go to the surface as do most sharks, especially when pulling from a higher point like the pier.