Thread: Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
The pelican

Etiquette

Hi guys - I've been kayak fishing for a few years but still feel like a bit of a novice out there when it comes to fishing etiquette. Reading this board is super helpful but I don't think there have been any recent posts on keeping a proper distance from other kayaks and PBs. Yesterday, I'm pulling a fly line behind my yak, minding my own business, and a power boat runs right over it. Normally if it's a pack of guys on rented waverunners, I chalk it up to ignorance and don't worry about it. This guy came up behind me and drove right over the line between me and my bait. I motioned to him and yelled that he was about to cut me off and he didn't even react. Definately looked like a local guy - not a "googin".

Some guys will damn near run you over without thinking about it. Some guys will yell at you if you get withing 100 yards of their spot.

Yesterday got me thinking - How close is too close? How far is overkill? Do you guys have a general rule of thumb? Normally, I'd err on the side of overkill. If I see someone trolling a mack, I try to steer clear. If I see someone cathcing bait on a sabiki and I'm bait fishing too, I'll come a little closer.

Are there good general rules for proper distance from other boats and yaks? General rules for right of way or navigating around boats that are coming your way. I'm not going to keep peddling toward a speeding power boat, but sometimes it seems rediculous to make a 90 degree turn and peddle for 5 mnutes to avoid some guy with an engine who doesnt have a bait in the water.

No luck cathcing YT yesterday but I did have one very nervous greenback get thumped, and then come in with a crushed head and body.

Side note, my buddy used white braid for the first time and robbed by dogs three times. Someone was asking about it earlier. We were fishing together and I was using moss green power pro and didn't lose any to dogs. I'm not sure if the line color made a difference. Let's call it superior skill
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote