View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
8 amp would be more sufficient for short trips , probably 7 hrs or 8 max . 10 amp for longer trips , maybe 8 - 10 hrs , and 18 amp can power larger 7 " screens all day. If you do long trips on the water , I would recommend at least a 10 amp battery as to reduce , or eliminate power problems . Also it us recommended to have a 3 amp fuse inline . A lot of helpful guys should chime in right about now . B
Thanks for the input. I will definitely be including a fuse on the new battery as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
12V 5amp? I didn't know they made them that small...............that appears to be your problem.

These are the specs for the HDS-5

Power Supply: Input Current 0.7A at 13VDC with backlight on, 0.4A with backlight off

Its not the 12volts that's your issue, its the amps, you don't have enough amps in that battery. I would suggest that at a minimum you get a 12v 12amp battery and if you have the money get a Bioenno LiFePo4 battery, they're expensive but they run and run and run.
Its a battery I used for a smaller FF. It was plenty fine for a day out on the water but then again it didn't draw as much juice as the new one.

I looked up the Bionenno but didn't see a 12 amp battery. I see a 10 amp or 20 amp option. The price difference is substantial at $84 vs $222. Could I get away with a 10 amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GreenJeans View Post
Once the FF shut down, the battery got a chance to "rest" and the voltage came back up to 10+ volts. If you had tried to run the FF again, the battery would have powered it briefly before the unit shut down again.
I have heard that this also damages the battery so that it won't hold a charge as long too.