View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
philr21

Pohang, South Korea, seabassing and eating surf

This week's report turned out to be more about us getting our butts handed to us than about fishing.
My first time launching in large breakers- lost an 80 dollar net. Broke my mirage drive, was able to fix and relaunch in the afternoon, only to have my rudder cable break off the lever. So had to turn back around with no real rudder control and punch back through.
Caught a ride with TK on his Tandem Island, on the way back in our partner cut the corner too close to the reef and flipped. Fortunately he was wearing a life jacket, and lost some tackle, fishing rod, etc., but was able to pedal back to shore after self rescuing. The outboard he had on it was running when he flipped so fortunate that didn't cause any injuries by itself... although the outboard did suffer some injury with salt rubbed in. All in all a good time, good food, with good friends. Look forward to doing it again, in calmer seas.
Haven't decided if the Hobie AMA's help or hurt in the rough water. When having to paddle they really restrict my movement so that doesn't help for sure. They provide a lot of stability the Outback lacks, but not sure if the trade off is completely worth it.
The fish we caught in the end were Pacific Redfin, congregating close to shore eating anchovies before heading up the rivers to spawn.

https://vimeo.com/95651411
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote