View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
bubblehide

I have Saltist's, Saltiga's, and Penn Fathoms, they are all top notch reels, and for star drags, it's difficult to chose one over the other. If you want a jig rod, I'd suggest a star drag reel over a lever drag for tossing iron or live bait; any choice of the above would not be a mistake. What I did not see pointed out about the narrow reels, is that they are supposed to cast better/further. The theory makes sense, but I have never actually tested it in the same exact reel with the narrow version vs the normal/wide version.

As for lever drags, there are also many very good lever drags on the market, Avet, Okuma, Accurate... just match your reel to the rod you want it on, and the way you intend to fish it.

As for what really makes the biggest difference at the end of the day, is the lightest rod/reel combo that does the job very well. What I mean is that if you intend on slinging iron all day, then you want a long rod, minimum 8'. But keep in mind that the longer the rod, the more the fish will beat you up, i.e., that shoulder will be feeling it (you might want to think about getting an MRI of the shoulder as you likely have some torn muscles).

Personally, I like the action of a glass rod over a pure carbon rod, especially fishing short topshots. But a hybred rod, or composite rod, (carbon glass mix) is so much superior to either, for a variety of reasons. And, at the end of the day, your shoulder will appreciate a hybred rod more than any other type.

Lastly, clearly your now addicted, and this set-u, is just the beginning.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote