View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #28
5-20

I'm probably a little biased, but I think my truck has exactly what you're looking for. It's a 2002 Tundra 4x4 with the 3.4 V6 engine.

I love this truck... It's my 6th 4x4 truck and this one is the best, best, best one I've had in terms of being an overall awesome daily driver that meets my needs for everything (especially since I've only needed to tow a bass boat and nothing huge with it and that V6 did the job adequately) while also giving me awesome gas mileage for a 4x4.

In Texas I consistently got 20-22 on the hwy and probably 18-20 in the city. The city driving MPG is probably what I like the best about this truck. All of the other 4x4's I've had were decent on the highways but absolute gas pigs in the city. Not so with my truck, possibly because the body's the old style and smaller/lighter than most full size pickups. Admittedly, here, my mileage's slightly lower, because the area's a lot more mountainous than texas, but I'm completely fine with what it's giving me.

Another nice thing about this truck is it's a tweener, falling in between the tacoma and those newer full sized tundras and any of the other full sized pickups. Parking and maneuvering in tight spaces are a lot easier with this truck.

Just food for thought. The 3.4 V6 is a fantastic motor. I picked my truck up with 87k and I just hit 157k. Zero problems with it other than needing to replace the radiator and alternator. People often comment on the 3.4 about it being one of the best motors Toyota ever came out with.

And if anyone's wondering, no, the truck's not for sale.

But admittedly, I kind of like the thought of getting a FJ Cruiser. The 4.0 V6 in that truck's pretty awesome and it seems like people who drive reasonably get around 18-20 MPG in that truck, based on what I've read on some of the toyota forums but really, I just don't think I can ever drive anything other than a pickup ever again. Just waaaay too convenient having that bed in the back for all of that gear, and to sleep in. Yeah, on one or two night camping trips, I'll just sleep in my truck -- tons easier than messing with a tent.

Good luck with your decision!!!

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote