View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
BigTunaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Conditions change frequently and what worked for one person yesterday could be the wrong rig for today. I think most would agree that at least 6' of good floro is a good bet for the more finicky trophy fish like yellows and wsb. When I say conditions might change is mostly to do with where fish are holding in the water column and what kelp conditions are. The way the kelp lays can change in a matter of hours depending on current and other factors. The right rig can mean the difference between presenting your bait to your target naturally or pulling your rig out of kelp stringers every 5 minutes and scaring everything away. 3 common rigs to use are dropper loop, Carolina rig and fly lined. Dropper loops are good to hit many levels of the water column fast if you mark something and is good for drifting if there is not a lot of loose kelp to get hung on. Carolina rig is good to troll if you want your bait moving at a deeper level and cover more ground. Fly lining is good around thicker kelp and a lot of stringers because there is less terminal tackle to get hung up on. Be sure to check your troll lines from time to time for bits of debris like kelp "mustaches" that can spook smarter fish like yellowtail.

I'm far from an expert at fishing lj. These are just a few things that have been taught to me. It's a learning curve and part of that curve is applying what little bit we know with actual time on the water.

Thank you very much William. I appreciate your input.
BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote