View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

SD Bay - Shelter Island Launch - 11/2/07

Friday - November 2, 2007

i launched into SD Bay from Shelter Island beach around 9:00 am and landed back at the beach around 6:30 pm.
9.5 hrs on the water.

the best fish of the day included:
two 18" Sandies, a few 13" Spotties, a 15" Bonita, and a 20" Halibut.

My Total Fish Summary:

(52) Total Fish..... i managed to catch 9 different species on this day.
(29) Barred Sand Bass (6" - 18")
(9) Spotted Bay Bass (6" - 13")
(1) Calico Bass (9")
(1) Halibut (20")
(1) Bonita (15")
(4) Barracuda (14" - 18")
(4) Greenback Mackeral (9" - 12")
(2) Lizard Fish (10" & 12")
(1) Smelt (13")
I GOT THE BASS TRIFECTA - ALL 3 SPECIES IN THE SAME DAY.

as far as the Bass went....

about half the Spotties were legal, and around half the Sandies were also legal.

best Spots: 2 to 3 fish at 13"
best Sandies: 2 fish at 18", plus many more went 15" - 17"
only Calico: 9" shortie

[ALL fish released.]

My Baits:

Frenzy crankbait (silver shiner color) produced the Bonita, all Barracuda, one Bass, several Macks, and the "giant" Smelt (this guy was at least 13" long ).

dead-stick Drop Shot (3" new penny Gulp shrimp bait) was slow, but did produce 2 big Sandies.

1 oz jig-head loaded with 5" Swimbait (chartruese & orange) used with Long-Line approach. but produced no fish.

all other fish were caught on 3/8 oz or 1/2 oz jig-heads loaded with either 5" curly tail grubs (chartruese w/ silver flake, black w/ silver flake, & pearl white colors) or 3" Gulp shrimp (New Penny color) used with drift and bounce approach.

i used UniButter on all plastic grubs.

the Gulp shrimp was working significantly better than the plastic grubs on this day.

although, the Halibut was caught on the black grub. and some Bass were caught on the black & chartruese grubs. but the white grub did not get bit all day.

Pictures:

here's a grumpy 13" Spot:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's the lone Calico:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's an especially fat Sandie, that hit the Gulp Shrimp:

and here's another nice Sandie:

tight lines to all !!!

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote