View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
icelogger

Costa Rica 2014 Trip Report

Here are some pics from a recent trip to Costa Rica. I got out yak fishing in three areas on the Pacific Coast. It was a great trip.

Playa Jaco, Costa Rica
Getting ready to hit the water with CR Kayaker at 4:30am. CR Kayaker is a great guy and a great host. Thanks Mark. We had a lot of fun fishing near Jaco, Costa Rica. I will definitely be going back to fish the Jaco area again. We managed a couple of big Spanish Macs and a bunch of unknown species in the rocks. My camera went kaput before we made it on the water so I only got one picture. Mark fishes with the Hobie AI and that boat is impressive. He had the sail rocking all day. At times, he was so far out I could not see him. 15 minutes later he was back. That boat is crazy fast with the sail. Marlin trolling speeds no problem.

Bahia Drake, De Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Traveling to Drake Bay is an adventure in itself. You drive or take a bus to Sierpe, Costa Rica and get on 1hr boat taxi down a river. You then reach the ocean and travel across the large Drake Bay. Kayak Fishing is nonexistent in Drake Bay so I had to work to get all the resources to get on the water. Rods and Reels are holy commodities in Drake Bay. After talking to many locals, I found a rod and reel and found a guy that rents kayak from his house. I managed a couple fish (unknown jacks) and they were tasty.

Puerto Jimenez, De Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
I met up with a guy named Josue(Joshua) who owns a kayak fishing outfitter. He is a great guy who loves fishing. Josue has reasonable prices and all the gear one needs. He also owns a really cool rental house, Casa Bella. It was quite an epic day on the water but that's a long story. We managed one Spanish Mac.
http://www.casabelladeosa.com/

icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote