Thread: Getting started
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
steveooo

I drive a lot for work. A few years ago I ditched my truck for a more economical car. I have a Toyota Camry (try to contain your jealousy).

Prior to the Camry i had a Corolla with the yakima round bars. They worked fine, but they were very loud. On the freeway it sounded like there was a hurricane happening outside. I had the wind fairing, but it didn't help much.

I went with the Thule Aeroblade. A little more expensive, but worth the extra expense in my opinion. The biggest advantage is that they are quiet. No increase in noise when I added them. Even on the freeway at 80 mph, I can't hear them. Plus they look a little better, were easy to install, and are rock solid. I also like the flat design a little better than the round bars because my kayak doesn't slide around. I got my racks from Andy at OEX Sunset Beach.

Here are some pics

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

On the car. My kayak is 16' long, which is 4" longer than the overall length of my car. Looks funny, but it is rock solid on there.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

It's definitely a little more work to get all the gear into a smaller car, but the gas mileage makes up for any extra hassle.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote