View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
buddha

Paradise at Bahia Asuncion

Bahia Asuncion was on my wish list since back in 2009 at the San Diego Bay Anglers tournament I met Zach Thomas who wrote a book about trailering a boat in Baja. I asked him where was the best fishing for a kayak fisherman in Baja and he mentioned Bahia Asuncion.

Thanks to Makobob he made my wish come true and I organized the trip with him right after Christmas.

The drive down was great. It was varied with cactus, farm areas, desert, etc.

The roads were very good for the most part as there were only a few areas that had construction and you had to go on dirt road but not very far at all.

Arriving at Bahia Asuncion we met Shari Bondy who owns a bed and breakfast right on the water at a rocky point with a billion dollar view if ever there was one. We looked into some of the rooms and they had amazing ocean views and the rooms were extremely beautiful, the pictures do not do it justice on the web site.

We got our keys for our rental house at San Roque a 15 minute drive from town on a dirt road but it was pretty smooth.

When we arrived at the house I could not believe the serene beauty of it all. The beach was one of the prettiest ever and it was all ours.

Other than the lobster fishermen that drove in the morning to set their traps and few other campers we had this place to ourselves.

The water clarity was like the caribbean with visibility up to 30-40 feet.

Just a gorgeous place to chill out and recharge your batteries which is really why I came. Fishing was secondary just to relax and regroup and get away before going back to the rat race. A perfect place for that.

I cooked all the meals for the guys and am happy that they appreciated my efforts.

Ross, Robert, and Sven are all good guys to fish with. Just passionate fishermen, easy going guys that anyone would enjoy fishing with. No drama at all.

I was just happy to be in this beautiful environment so I didn't fish that hard. I had a personal best of a 23 inch calico. Unfortunately my damn camera didn't work so I couldn't take any pictures but the other guys have some.

The baits that worked for me were a flat spoon similar to a megabait but wider and flatter. The Berkley Gulp saltwater grubs also worked well. The z man plastics and big hammers didn't have much love.

This place is just a lovely place even if you don't fish and just want to get away. The accommodations that Shari has are a bed and breakfast as well as a few rental homes and a camp/rv are with showers and wifi.

This place is paradise on the cheap.

It only cost each of us less than 200 dollars for 11 days to be in this amazing environment.

Add in gas and you have one of the best bargains ever.

Paradise does exist and it is in Bahia Asuncion.

Get down there before it changes as the newly paved road will be attracting a lot more people.

Right now it is perfect.

Take advantage of it.

Last edited by buddha; 01-07-2014 at 10:28 AM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote