View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Just like what William said. I've also had a lot of success there too. When I first started fishing that rockfish spot about 2 years ago they always seemed to be in the same spot, but now I have to admit I've had some trouble, they seem to be moving around a bit more. Either that or else I end up stumbling across a new spot almost every time I go out there. Some advice, do not try anything shallower than 170 ft, cuz that will be sanddab and lizardfish galore, mainly lizardfish. Overall, its just about getting lucky out there. First time I tried that area was the first weekend of March a couple of years ago and I happened to stumble upon a school at around 200 ft and found a red snapper. Fished it hard for a little while, ended up with a handful of reds and starries. Then the next thing to do when you get lucky is to save the spot you were in, because they will likely be there the next time. I don't have a gps so I have been using landmarks with depth, its suited me pretty well.

Thats just my two cents.

Also, I might be going out there in the next week or so since I haven't been on a kayak in the past 2 months because of the broken bones and a screwed up knee. I need to feed the kayak fishing addiction, its been too long.

Otherwise, good luck out there.