View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
I have been trying to figure out rock fishing at Newport, but I just can't find the fish! I have taken 4 trips there so far that have resulted in maybe 5 dinks, 1 pig sand bass (25 inches), 2 barely legal sandies and a couple of short sandies. I know how to rockfish, I regularly limit when I drive down to LJ, but I just can't find the fish at Newport! Anyone have any tips? I have been fishing from 120-200 and have put in at least 25 hours of fishing time unsuccessfully. Thanks for any help!

I've had some luck finding rockfish in the area but the areas that I did find were pretty small. I recall the first time that I was there it took me well over an hour of scouting just to find a decent spot and I also recall the area being extremely small but literally every drop was a hook-up. There were a few dinks here and there, most if not all of the big ones were between 12-15 inches.

What kind of transducer do you have? According to one of the techs from Lowrance if you're running with a 80/200 you will lose some detail after 100', they recommend that for anything deeper than that you want to go with a 50/200. Maybe that's the difference, maybe not. Its possible that if you have the 80/200 transducer you're paddling right over some rock piles and not even noticing it on your FF.

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find a spot. I heard through the grapevine that there are some really nice spots just outside of Newport, this info came from a reputable source. The spot is so top secret that he wouldn't give me the number

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote