View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
madscientist

labor day south kelp

Finally found my entry into the 50+ club. Been a long time coming. Thought it was a thresher when it hit because it just exploded on the trolled croc and kept coming up and boiling. Tangled the crap out of my flyline so I was more focused on trying to keep the line sliding through the knotted other one than on the fish. It gave up rather suddenly and as I was rapidly reeling it in I was ready for sharkness to go shooting by but instead it was big, belly up, and white. Weird retarded fish, huge head, big tail, and a serpentine body. 51lb7oz.

Fishing was otherwise very slow for our group. Locals confirmed it had been bad. Weird weather this weekend and nasty SW swell built up. On Sunday Adi and I almost screwed up our landing. Looked clear when we started but look back to see a BIG roller coming. I hesitated when I saw it form, tried to turn around then realized I'd never clear it as it was already crumbling outside of me. Turned back to the beach and paddled for my life with a wall of whitewater closing in. Fortunately it lost some steam by the time it caught up to me and I could punch out backwards. It's big brother was behind it but I managed to catch a little wave in between and surf in ahead of the next wall of whitewater. Pretty scary. None of us fished Monday as the swell was still up and we didn't feel like running the gauntlet again.

Last edited by madscientist; 09-04-2007 at 10:08 AM.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote